Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 24 - Breathing The Arts

I have more time on my hands now to draw.

A drawing of Hiro-san's parents' house.



And visit museums:
Shiota Chiharu

Hiro-san brought me to this exhibition by Shiota Chiharu
It was really quite intriguing. Unfortunately, photography wasn't allowed, so I can't show anything. But if you are able to see from the above photographs, the work featured was a white dress that's pinned to the wall, with tubes poking out of it. There's also red liquid moving inside that's supposed to look like blood.

It's actually a pretty scary (not to mention painful) piece, but spectacular to see it for myself. It's not just the visuals, but also the sound of the liquid moving in the tubes and the humming of the machine that's pumping the liquid.

Her other artworks are also pretty spectacular.. and painful. I think it all surrounds the theme of her trying to paint her life in retrospect; in a third-party angle (hence the title "Me As Others" as you can see in the photo).

Her official website: http://www.chiharu-shiota.com/works.html

Fukuoka City Museum

(Sorry. Sidetrack a little.)
There was this huge commotion going on while I was walking to the museum.
Some 'parade' thing? Or public announcement? Or propaganda?
I'm seriously clueless.

Fukuoka City Museum




The exhibition I went for. Masks of the Noh Theatre.


I watched a recorded Noh performance once during a Theatre class I took in college (I was minoring in Theatre studies). It was graceful, definitely, but I think it's really difficult to understand. Basically it's really slow... My lecturer then said it's a really difficult act because it requires a lot of stamina and balance to be able to move THAT slow. Anyway, I could never forget the Noh Theatre. So, I was actually pleasantly surprised that I could have the chance to get to learn more about this art.

The ticket to this exhibit also entitled me to visit other permanent exhibits - mostly about the culture of Hakata. I wasn't really paying much attention to the English texts (there weren't many. Only for major ones), so what I had gathered was the Japanese people living in Hakata depended mostly on fishing initially. Agriculture (i.e. rice planting) came later.

Quite interesting.

FRESHNESS BURGER

Ok, so this has absolutely nothing to do with art (maybe in a way).
I had to post this up because back home in Singapore, there's a "Freshness Burger" joint in the building where my school was also located at.

So.. this is for the folks back home at 3dsense! :):) 
Cheers!

FRESHNESS BURGER!





By the way, if you've noticed that the skies are somehow looking very dull and gloomy, it's because there's a warning that 2 typhoons are coming. Yeap. But there's no cause for alarm. :)
Life still goes on pretty much the same for the Japs. :) I feel safe. Especially in God's hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shout out to me!